Tamiya Japanese Heavy Cruiser ChikumaMilitary Kits : Military Ships : War Ships
- For Ages: 12+
- Assembly: Requires Glue
- Released: Jul 2012
- Availability: In Stock
- Price: $147.54
Item DescriptionChikuma was the last heavy cruiser the Imperial Japanese Navy constructed during WWII and was completed in May 1939 as the second ship of the Tone-class. Her four twin 20.3cm guns were located at the bow to enable unhindered operation of up to 6 floatplanes at the stern. Her design also enabled a top speed of 35 knots and a long range. She was assigned to the Carrier Mobile Fleet with her sister ship Tone. During the Pearl Harbor Attack in December 1941, her floatplanes carried out pre-attack reconnaissance over the Pearl Harbor, which greatly contributed to the IJN's success of the operation. She was also active during the Battle of Midway and the Solomon Islands campaign. During the Battle of the Leyte Gulf in October 1944, she was the flagship of Admiral Kurita's fleet and contributed to the sinking of the USS Gambier Bay but she was in turn damaged by torpedoes and scuttled off the coast of Samar Island.
Specs & Features
- 1/350 scale plastic assembly kit of the Chikuma before she was refitted with additional AA guns, radar, and air defense command center.
- Model may be assembled as a full hull model mounted on a display stand or a waterline model.
- The use of small screws enables secure attachment of the hull and deck.
- Highly detailed main gun turrets. Gun barrels articulate in 2 different angles.
- V-shaped ventilator ducts and funnels included.
- Mast components are made from ABS plastic for greater durability.
- Photo-etched parts such as aircraft trolleys, catapult rails, and mast braces included.
- Anchor chains and propeller shafts are made with metal parts.
- Floatplanes included and come with display stands.
- Kit includes a Reference Booklet which provides background information for the Chikuma as well as a full color Painting Guide.
Tamiya Model Kits
There are no customer reviews yet.