Tamiya U.S. Navy CA-35 Indianapolis - Water Line SeriesMilitary Kits : Military Ships : War Ships
- For Ages: 12+
- Assembly: Requires Glue
- Availability: In Stock
- Price: $31.58
Item DescriptionThe U.S. Navy heavy cruiser, Indianapolis, was commissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on November 15, 1932. On the opening day of the Pacific War, December 7, 1941, as flagship of Scouting Force, US Fleet, she was making a simulated bombardment near Hawaii. In March 1943, she became flagship of Admiral Raymond Spruance, Commander Fifth Fleet which consisted of Task Force 58 plus 130,000 marines and army troops. Leading the giant fleet, she participated in most of the major Central Pacific campaigns. In March 1945, she was severely damaged and returned to Mare Island for repairs. For the 2 months period of repairs, her equipment was renewed and much improved with the latest radar, electronic gun sights and new Curtiss Seahawks. After the repairs, she loaded secret cargo and personnel at San Francisco, and sailed for Tinian Island on July 16 , where a B29 bomber base was located, , and arrived there to unload the cargo and personnel on July 26. Then 4 days later, on July 30, she sunk taking 2 torpedo hits from the submarine I-58.
She served with honor from Pearl Harbor through the last campaign of World War II, sinking in action two weeks before the end of the war, and earned ten battle stars.
- This is a plastic model assembly kit of the U.S. Navy heavy cruiser, Indianapolis.
- 1/700 scale, 266mm in overall length, 29mm in overall width.
- Precisely replicates the anti-aircraft armaments and equipment improved in July 1945.
- Realistically recreated hull consists of right and left halves.
- Anchor chain and nonslip treatments on deck are well expressed by precise mold carving technique.
- Bridges, funnels, masts and radar also show intricate details. Kit comes with many impressive armaments such as 8in/55 caliber batteries on turret, 5in/25 caliber dual purpose guns and 20mm/40mm anti-aircraft guns.
- Turrets can be rotated owing to poli caps installed underneath. 2 airplanes (Curtiss SC-1 Seahawks) included.
Tamiya Model Kits
There are no customer reviews yet.